The NL Sexual Assault Crisis and Prevention Centre is offering a 2-day training for service providers during Sexual Violence Awareness Week 2014.
“Breaking Down Our Barriers: Working with Adult Survivors of Sexual Assault” aims to:
- Raise awareness of the realities of sexual assault, focusing on the impacts and issues that survivors face
- Provide an opportunity for service providers to learn and practice supportive response techniques focusing on crisis intervention.
The training is based on national models of service provider training and on the spiral model of adult education. It is highly interactive, building on the experience of trainee participants, giving practical support tools, and providing opportunities to strategize how we can incorporate learnings into our workplaces and lives.
Who might benefit from this training?
Service providers, police officers, social workers, nurses, counsellors, teachers, people working with victims of violence, and anyone who does front-line work.
Day 1 – Breaking Down Barriers: Deepening Our Understanding
Opening Ceremony for Sexual Violence Awareness Week 2014
• Introductions and overview
• Definitions and laws
• Realities and impacts of sexual assault
• Barriers to seeking support
• Our roles as service providers when offering support
There will be a Lunch ‘n’ Learn Mock Trial with PLIAN over the lunch hour on Day 1.
Day 2 – Creating Foundations: Responding Supportively
• Knowing your stress and understanding compassionate fatigue
• Creating safe space and working every day to be non-judgemental
• Providing supportive responses to disclosures, focusing on crisis intervention
• Understanding boundaries and self-care
• Wrap up and evaluation
Dates: Monday, September 15th & Tuesday, September 16th, 2014
Day 1 – Registration begins at 8:00am, followed by the Opening Ceremony to Sexual Violence Awareness Week 2014 at 8:30am.
Day 2 - Training will start at 9:00am
Location: Capital Hotel, 208 Kenmount Road, St. John’s
Cost: $60 per person for both days
Nutritional breaks and lunch will be provided on both days. There will be a Lunch n Learn Mock Trial with PLIAN over the lunch hour on Day 1.
Registration will begin on
Monday, August 25th on a first come first serve basis.
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org and please note, training is designed for 30 participants. Seating is very limited and your seat will not be reserved until the fee of $60 is received.
The NL Sexual Assault Crisis and Prevention Centre would like to sincerely thank our platinum sponsors Budden and Associates for breaking barriers and funding this exciting training opportunity.